[opendtv] Re: New transition web site

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:00:52 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Maybe in your world Bert, but not in the competitive world where
the marketplace works.

Can you imagine what could have happened if the FCC HAD
allowed broadcasters to use COFDM modulation?

Now I can, yes. NOTHING different would have happened.

In Europe, I repeat, what makes DTT isuccessful is FOTA TV. And parenthetically, they are having to scramble now to try to work HDTV in the repertoir, which we didn't have to worry about.

(And oh, don't we all remember how HDTV was just one of the purported reasons why ATSC was such a stupid idea! Just more noise in the circuit, to more successfully stall progress. The more nay-sayers you can introduce, the more chances there are of decision makers having to rethink and delay.)

In the US, no matter what delaying tactic had been used by the industry, it seems very obvious *now* that transition or no transition, the long term goal of the industry is to get people on subscription TV. I'm really thinking that all this talk about "what if COFDM" is just a bunch of fanciful fairy tales.

But Sinclair, Pappas and others would have switched to COFDM
and created a Freeview-like system, and used their stations to
promote it.

That's what I'm talking about. What's stopping them, Craig? When Linx showed how ATSC receivers could make use of multiple redundant synchronization mechanisms already existing in 8T-VSB, back in early 2002, as well as matched filtering techniques to move pre-echo into lagging echo before reaching the equalizer, when they showed all of this actually working in the field in early 2003, where were all these people who were going to do all these wonderful things with a modulation scheme that worked? Add to that E-VSB and A-VSB.

Sinclair, at least on here, has been showing signs of interest. But from the outside looking in, the industry is far more preoccupied with retrans consent than any plans for post-2/17/2009 in the area of FOTA TV, Freeview, call it what you will.

My brother thinks that the reason FOTA TV works in Europe is simply that Europeans are cheap, the broadcasters know it, and therefore they make it work. Whereas here it's too easy to make people spend money frivolously. Sounds a tad simplistic, but I believe that is largely the case.