[opendtv] Re: New transition web site

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:24:42 -0500

At 10:27 AM -0800 3/5/07, John Willkie wrote:
Tom, Tom, Tom;

Aren't you tired of playing this old violin?

At least he is playing in tune, not the discordant scratching we get from you.

Let's look backwards.  Since the 1996 Act was passed have you ever heard of
broadcasters trying to move the deadline back?  (I'll concede that some
broadcasters 'wanted' a three year extension, but knew they wouldn't get
that.)

Yes. they did in in 1997, and again when COngress delayed the 700 MHz auctions in the first part of this decade.

Since the extension passed, have you ever heard of any broadcasters unhappy
with the deadline?

Yes. But I'll agree it is not getting a lot of press... just as DTV is still getting ZERO promotion by broadcasters.

Since the extension passed, have you noticed that broadcasters are getting
serious about making money with their digital transmitters?

You mean by demanding compensation from cable and DBS for their HDTV signals as well as the analog signal that is covered by re-transmission consent?

For my part, in over a year, the only thing I've heard about the transition
had to do with the boxes and the subsidy for them, and this came from the
'proverty-pimpers' and their amen chorus among Democrats.

And even this was only heard in limited circles like this list. Most Americans do not even know about the box subsidy program.

The box subsidy themselves is a canard.  Anybody who buys a tv in the next
two years will get an 8-VSB tun

Yup...

Whether they want it or not.

But there will still be MANY "anybody's" who will not be buying a new TV.