[opendtv] Re: New transition web site

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:16:58 -0500

On 3/10/07, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But any demand rests upon them also having some desirable content.
Meanwhile the resolution and bit rate requirements are still limited by
mobile using any currently practical technologies.  If these new
entrants have rights to higher resolution content they may also want to
peddle the highdef version of them to the cable companies, where bigger
pipes might feed larger home displays.

This goes back to our discussions of future possibly different
acquisition and delivery resolutions.

But just speculating here.

- Tom

Not so limited. I read that some are now saying that the DVB-H like
modulations designed for cell phones may not be the wave of the
future, something we decided when first exposed to DVB-H. DVB-H is not
designed for mobile as much as it was designed to solve a battery life
problem. Our plan never was about cell phones or solving battery
problems but simply ubiquitous reception mobile and fixed of decent
resolution TV.

CDMB-T/H, formerly DMB-T/H or my way DMB-TH is possibly the best for
this. We will see. Bit rates are high even mobile if you build out a
decent network. And if you build out a decent network you will have
the customers to justify it. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.

After one entity does this with enough spectrum, at least 12 MHz IMO,
it will become the norm for DTV IMO. Content is not a problem.

Bob Miller