[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:39:18 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> But I have two PCHD cards because I use them for auto
> timer recording and Tivo-like pause/trick play when
> using my PC. And on the PC even when watching live I
> shrink it to a small window and web browse forums like
> AVS or read the opendtv list during commercials.
>
> So while I keep raving about the tuner in my new TV I
> never actually use the darn thing. Native TV (even HD)
> is totally 20th century. ;-)

Even though I don't watch TV on a computer, except for foreign newscasts or
occasional catch-up of network TV episodes from their web sites, I have to
agree that the receiver built into the TV set was not my first priority. My
first priority was a digital receiver properly integrated into a recording
device. It seems far more useful there, if you have to pick the first place to
put a digital receiver.

Obtusely enough, instead, the first digital receivers appeared as stand-alone
STBs, in the late 1990s, which is arguably the LEAST convenient location for
them. Then integrated in expensive TVs about 2002 or 2003. And FINALLY in
affordable recording devices, in 2007.

An industry responding blindly to government mandates, one has to conclude. An
industry that seems to want the average Joe to give up looking for what he
really wants, and instead rent the recording device from an umbillical service
provider. The path of least resistance.

However, it is heartening to see that good quality receivers are even being
installed in inexpensive sets. Which makes sense, if you consider that the
newest receivers are also the most integrated, and therefore the cheapest to
produce.