[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:55:05 -0500

Bert,

Combine 1999 guard interval performance of DVB-T, add in 2007 blind equalizers, and what do you get? Still something far superior to ATSC.

ATSC still cannot do mobile at all, and the A-VSB and E-VSB schemes proposed come with a much higher bitrate hit than DVB-T HM.

DVB-T still has a full continuum of bitrate vs. robustness that is settable by each individual broadcaster to meet their perceived needs. ATSC does not.

I told you 5 years ago and I will repeat it today: Even if every ATSC reception issue was solved, I would still prefer DVB-T because of it's built in flexibility it affords the broadcaster.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

The facts are, one by one all the oft-repeated objections to 8-VSB have
dropped by the wayside, as was predictable from fairly early on. The
dreaded cliff effect remains, of course, which affects all modulation
schemes. It would be great to do another comparison test now, but since
no one would benefit from it, it won't happen. Alas.