[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:58:00 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> And Bert's insistence to the contrary, I know very well we
> could have done better.

Some people are just inconsolable.

The facts are, one by one all the oft-repeated objections to 8-VSB have
dropped by the wayside, as was predictable from fairly early on. The
dreaded cliff effect remains, of course, which affects all modulation
schemes. It would be great to do another comparison test now, but since
no one would benefit from it, it won't happen. Alas.

The most recent complaints that bite the dust convincingly are the price
of ATSC receivers and their supposed power hog nature. We addressed
price yesterday. And if you check the specs of the new Coby HD box, the
DTV-140, you will find that even though this is an HD receiver, its max
power consumption is 10 watts. Just 2 watts higher than the EU limit for
new SD boxes. No word on power draw of the Coby SD box.

http://www.cobyusa.com/manuals/DTV140.pdf

Of course, with the conflict of interest caused by the must-carry rules,
it doesn't do broadcasters any good to get excited about their OTA
medium, and **that's** the real shame of it.