[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:03:21 -0800

Cox north and south have radically different configurations, in no small
part because the City of San Diego is vigilant about the number of channels
on basic (which keeps basic rates down).  Cox west is different than the
other two.

I just checked Cox South.  Channel 21 is CSPAN-2.  Basic tops out on channel
24.  It's different on Cox North, but I didn't take note on turkey day when
I visited my brother's home in North territory.

Through June 2000, I was a TWC subscriber with basic, basic, basic, basic
and HBO, + internet.  That topped out on channel 19.  It was a rare choice,
and initially they gave me expanded basic, until I had the expanded service
for a month.  I did need to say basic four times in a row each time for it
to register with them.  I doubt that they've expanded the basic channels
since then.  For basic, basic, basic, basic I paid $18 per month.  (FCC
rules permit charging for basic on a per-channel basis.)

Limited and expanded basic are marketing terms, I only referred to the legal
term of basic.

I don't know of a way to indicate in advance in PSIP whether a program
(event, actually) is broadcast in HD.  TMS has that data available, but it's
not necessarily a technical term, more like a marketing term.

No, there is no need for program guide schedules to be printed on dead
trees.