[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:49:43 -0800

Actually, PSIP is totally new.  All sorts of issues come up, but newspaper
listings are getting smaller and smaller, and PSIP is required to make a go
at data broadcasting.  It's absurd to drive viewers to other sources of
information, indeed, along the way, they may decide to do other things,
regardless of whether the PC is near the TV or in another room.

Just last week, I saw a promo for a news show on KNSD-TV, the NBC-operated
but not fully owned station in San Diego.  In the promo, the announced that
one could record it if you were watching something else.  Would have taken
less time to say "Tivo."

I suspect that other NBC-operated tv stations will be using this formulation
in the future, if they aren't doing so already.

Indeed, it gave me an idea.

John Willkie