[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:26:20 -0500

John Willkie wrote:
> Is 720p (HDTV) any different than 1080i (HDTV)?  How about 1080p (HDTV)?
> These aren't distinctions without a difference, but all are HDTV.
>
> This stuff is only simple if you don't know the real-world considerations or
> can ignore them.

Is is simple because you can ignore the differences. 720p & 1080i are both HD. 1080p also is but is not broadcast OTA anyway. And at least TitanTV is moderately reliable about whether I'm actually watching an HD broadcast rather that a 480i upconvert.

Don't make things harder than they have to be. These descriptions don't have to be particularly more accurate than other guide descriptions.

- Tom

Neither one of those listings use any standard, evolving or otherwise, to
denote HDTV.  TitanTV uses TV-Guide Gemstar data, where Tribune Media
Services (a more commonly used listing service) has a field in their data
structure to signal HDTV.  HDTV is a marketing term, not a technical one.  I
don't know where Yahoo gets their data, but there is no reason to expect
that a network program (indicated in the above listings as HDTV) would be
broadcast in HDTV by a station with an encoder that is not capable of
transmitting HDTV.

Is 720p (HDTV) any different than 1080i (HDTV)?  How about 1080p (HDTV)?
These aren't distinctions without a difference, but all are HDTV.

This stuff is only simple if you don't know the real-world considerations or
can ignore them.

John Willkie
www.EtherGuideSystems.com