[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:23:43 -0800

At 15 mb/second, one hour of HDTV content is around 6 gigabytes (19.39
mb/sec is 8.7 gb/hour).

So, I think that an ATSC HDTV DVD recorder would require either swapping
discs each half-hour or HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

I think it's a bit premature to expect this to happen at this point in the
deployment of HD-DVD recorders or Blu-Ray recorders.  I suspect that these
exist, as I've seen the discs at Fry's.

But, it's a new-adopter system at best.

John Willkie