[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:20:25 -0500

It's obviously a judgment call though I personally think only the main shows count and any form of up conversions do not. A show that is mostly HD but some upconverted material? Who knows?

Sadly as many HD channels become more bit starved for multicasting it becomes harder to be sure about the up converts and on some channels maybe you couldn't even tell the difference.

Either way, an 'HD' listing attribute is something that is already being done and now shown in guides like TitanTV or Yahoo TV Listings so I guess there is already some sort of evolving standard for it.

- Tom

Mark Schubin wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I can think of several ways to indicate that a program is in HDTV.

But what is HD?

Is upconverted material HD? Is a show with SOME upconverted material HD? How much can "some" be? 1%? 99%?

What material is acceptable for upconversion? Graphics? Cameras? Interstitials?

What type of upconversion is acceptable?  Motion-compensated?  Bandlet?

This might be a topic at the HPA Technology Retreat in February.

TTFN,
Mark

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx