[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:26:19 -0800

Doug;

It's hard to diagnose PSIP issues without having a transport stream capture.
If you have the ability to capture live transport streams, I can usually
diagnose the PSIP issue.  It's important to start with that, because
otherwise you can actually be diagnosing receiver/implementation issues.

In my testing at KYES-DT, I have experience with the -451 samsung box and
the HiSense (from Wal-mart) which I believe is also the same as the
Accurian.

I'd be very interested in the receiver that tries to get PSIP from another
station, because that functionality is built into the PSIP spec, but I've
never seen it in the wild.  If the stations aren't co-located, I'd say that
it shouldn't be attempted.

It's also possible that the tsid is improperly set in the MPEG-2 program
association table (PAT) and/or doesn't match the tsid in the Terrestrial
Virtual Channel Table (TVCT) in PSIP.  These need to match, or the receiver
literally doesn't know what station it's tuned to.

It's possible that a bit or two is set incorrectly in the entry for a
particular virtual channel in the TVCT.  Heck, the station could even be
transmitting a Cable Virtual Channel Table, and it's impossible to tune into
those channels terrestrially.

FCC rules require a minimum of 9 hours of Event Information Tables, even if
the listing is "Regular Programming" or some such.  Allegations of FCC rule
violations tend to get the attention of Chief Engineers.

If the EPG says something like "acquiring guide info" but never provides
guide information, this is an indication that the PSIP generator thinks it
is transmitting Event Information Tables and/or Extended Event Text Tables,
but the receiver doesn't find them.  This can be caused by not having
information on all time slots, or transmitting EITs and EETTs but not having
any usable data within them.

I know of the latter situation because my application has caused such
conditions.  In the past (only, I hope.)

John