[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:23:27 -0400

It is not just a difference in modulation. In Berlin they have a 95%
cable and satellite penetration and now have over a 12% OTA digital
penetration after little over a year. The cost and hassle to the
consumer would also have been less and I believe retailers and
broadcasters would have been more interested in supplying both SD and HD
programming. Receivers that worked plug and play with current analog
sets would have been selling in numbers similar to both Berlin and the
UK. You would have inexpensive receivers for your PC and laptop and
inexpensive portable and mobile DTV sets.

And why do you say a few offerings per market? They have 30 or so
channels in Berlin and the UK and that has been enough. In the US we
could have more per market. Even with 30 channels in the UK something
like 80% of the viewing is of just six of those channels. A lot of
people would be very interested in a easy to use mobile/fixed offering
of 30 free channels in the US. And I think a lot more channels than that
could be offered in the US.

Bob Miller