[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:23:41 -0400

Bert,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

> As of now, I guess we never get a good idea what the
> percentages are, but they are closer to 50 percent that use
> OTA NTSC overall? At least some of the time. And if this
> 50 percent is made up largely of small sets in the kitchen
> or spare bedroom, then those sets will need decent ATSC
> tuners too. This might not happen at first, but that's
> where ATSC *should* expect to go, in due course.

Ah, you finally get it.  Small portable sets are exactly what E-VSB and
DVB-T HM HP streams are designed for.  Large HD home theater systems will be
most likely fed by DBS, Cable, or a huge outdoor antenna, so C/N performance
of LP streams is not as critical.  But the small portable in the kitchen
needs a robust low C/N, high immunity to dynamic multipath data mode to be
useful.

Unfortunately, with the current 8-VSB system, the types of ATSC tuners that
these sets really need to make them practical contain the most expensive
chipsets, which will not be placed in the cheapest televisions.  So do you
see the dilemma of requiring such computing power at the receiver to
compensate for multipath?

> Over the years, haven't NTSC tuners gone through the same
> evolution? They became a commodity item, all adequately
> good.

NTSC tuners aren't A) strapped with a fixed IP cost on top of the
electronics, and B) all deliver a viewable picture under adverse conditions.
Excellent tuners deliver better pictures, and poor tuners deliver impaired
pictures, but they all deliver pictures and sound.  Not so with digital, as
you well know.  Either the DTV tuner works, or it doesn't, and the ones most
likely to work also cost the most.

Cheers,

John Shutt