[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:34:21 -0700

[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

*       From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

*       To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:24:43 -0400

Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:

 > I wonder if there will be a market for standalone demod/FEC chips

in 2005? There are guys out there who already have DTV-on-a-chip today

-- demod/FEC, MPEG2 video, NTSC video & audio, Dolby audio, graphics,

microprocessor, etc. I don't know what they cost, but clearly the

value of each IP block is dropping fast as the integration level

increases.

Interesting point.  But the incremental cost to add something to a

chip is also determined by the IP licensing cost.  If that is

significant then it is less likely a function will be integrated along

with big collections of possibly useful stuff.  I'm not sure how that

stacks up here.

- Tom