[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:24:43 -0400

Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:
 > I wonder if there will be a market for standalone demod/FEC chips
in 2005? There are guys out there who already have DTV-on-a-chip today
-- demod/FEC, MPEG2 video, NTSC video & audio, Dolby audio, graphics,
microprocessor, etc. I don't know what they cost, but clearly the
value of each IP block is dropping fast as the integration level
increases.

Interesting point.  But the incremental cost to add something to a
chip is also determined by the IP licensing cost.  If that is
significant then it is less likely a function will be integrated along
with big collections of possibly useful stuff.  I'm not sure how that
stacks up here.

- Tom