[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:52:43 -0400

> To believe that someone in the long view is going to spend hundreds
> of dollars on an integrated DTV receiver for the kitchen is nothing
> less than short sighted. The information appliance for the kitchen
> will not be so limited. It will be a device that allows the sharing
> of media and information via the in-home network. It will maintain a
> variety of database services that are appropriate for the kitchen;
> recipes, inventories, shopping lists, electronic coupons; web access,
> etc.

Are we on another planet here? Such devices are nothing more than an
amusement and/or high-tech-toy for people with more money than sense.
The only impetus for people to buy such devices is if they don't add to
the cost of the fridge, or we are hit with some sort of global food
shortage that makes bean-counting of groceries important. The USA has
this mentality of throwing food away and serving huge portions. A
wasteful society doesn't care to spend time bar scanning their milk.

Remember, Be tried the computer fridge, as did others. Bar-code
scanning and food delivery to web ordering was tried in the dot com
bomb - Pink Dot et al *all* went bust - and they were brick and mortar
delivery companies. I'll agree that maybe some of them failed because
they put their warehouses out in the boonies and got killed by
transportation costs, but that still doesn't change the fact that they
couldn't make a dime in the end to keep themselves liquid. They all
frizzled and died. Ofcourse the techies thought the idea was great -
but joe consumer could care less.

Yeah... and Kerry will give us national broadband too, right? Fiber to
the home for your fridge!

Cheers
Kon