[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 22:53:39 -0700

The rest of the AVS Forum post says it will be Thomson product, it will receive
"difficult" signals 85% of the time vs. current chips that supposedly only
receive difficult signals 18-50% of the time and cost will be "the same as
current chips." I'm quoting the poster, and have no idea whether this is
accurate info from Linx.

I wonder if there will be a market for standalone demod/FEC chips in 2005?
There are guys out there who already have DTV-on-a-chip today -- demod/FEC,
MPEG2 video, NTSC video & audio, Dolby audio, graphics, microprocessor, etc. I
don't know what they cost, but clearly the value of each IP block is dropping
fast as the integration level increases. Remember when an MPEG2 video decoder
was a chip of its own, and it was financially worthwhile for companies to make
them? Now it's just another peripheral function in a much larger chip -- a
requirement to do business on a higher level, but not particularly valuable in
its own right.

I don't think we're there yet with 8-VSB, but I don't think we're very far away
either...

-- Frank
*       From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

*       To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:39:56 -0400

According to this recent AVS post

(

<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387667&highlight=casper>

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387667&highlight=casper

) they will be sampling chips by 2nd qtr 2004 but no products until

September 2005.

- Tom