[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:41:55 -0400

At 7:07 PM -0400 4/15/04, Tom Barry wrote:
>Yes, but how much sense will it make to have a home server that cannot
>   talk to home computers?  And yet this seems a possibility given the
>way things are going.  The CE guys may compromise with Hollywood to
>mostly shut out the PC guys like me.   And then of course I'd have to
>do something different.

I think the proper way to characterize what Hollywood is doing is to say:

If you want your PC to play in the entertainment space, then it must
obey OUR rules. There is nothing in the Broadcast Flag rules to
prevent you from building a completely legal PC media center. It is
just a matter of preventing your customer of doing things that they
have come to expect from a PC. But compliance is feasible...at a
price.