[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:01:57 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> The rest of the AVS Forum post says it will be Thomson=20
> product, it will receive "difficult" signals 85% of the time=20
> vs. current chips that supposedly only receive difficult=20
> signals 18-50% of the time and cost will be "the same as=20
> current chips." I'm quoting the poster, and have no idea=20
> whether this is accurate info from Linx.

That seems to be a direct quote from the Linx test results in
Wash, Balt, and Phila not long ago. They managed to achieve 85
or 87 percent success overall, with a dipole, at 6' height, in
a van, in areas with lots of high-rise buildings, and without
reaiming the antenna after receiving the first station. In DC,
they used Rosslyn, an office high rise district. In Balt,
downtown just North of the Inner Harbor area. And in Phila,
Center City.

The fact that it doesn't cost more than the competition was
predictable, because it doesn't use anything more advanced
than the competition, in terms of hardware. The art was
apparently in assigning the equalizer taps.

> I wonder if there will be a market for standalone demod/FEC=20
> chips in 2005? There are guys out there who already have=20
> DTV-on-a-chip today -- demod/FEC, MPEG2 video, NTSC video &=20
> audio, Dolby audio, graphics, microprocessor, etc. I don't=20
> know what they cost, but clearly the value of each IP block=20
> is dropping fast as the integration level increases.

Presumably, someone including Linx could produce a chip with
higher integration, in which this 8-VSB front end or an even
better solution (one which uses the training sequence, for
example) could be part of the package. I'll stick with my
prediction that by 2007, *if* all continues on schedule with
the transition, we'll see ATSC tuners built-in costing in
the $30 to $35 range, and stand-alone STBs at or under $100.