[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:51:14 -0700

At 3:16 PM +0100 4/18/04, Alan Roberts wrote:
>History indeed. Considerably before then, I was part of an EBU/Eureka95
>group that met SMPTE in Las Vegas at NAB in a attempt to get
>Constant-Luminance coding considered. We were told that it was too late (I
>reckon this must have been 1990 or 91, because ATSC had not then been
>formally started). I got a strong feeling that decisions were not going to
>be swayed by any input we could provide.
>
>However, it was a great meeting, being my introduction to Charles Poynto,
>LeRoy DeMarsh et al, names I'd long heard of but never met. Charles listened
>really hard to me and I got to talk long and deep to him about coding
>systems and what they mean in real image quality terms.

yes, I remember many discussions about expanding the encoding space.
In particular I remember the war between Gary Demos and Charles
Poynton on this subject, and the way in which it erupted in the
IEEE/SMPTE Task Force on Digital Image Architecture. This was one of
the few areas where we were able to come up with consensus.

Bottom Line, REC 709 Colorimetry was a lock in - no discussion.

Fortunately, Hollywood saw the light, and left this compressed color
space behind...