[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:14:36 -0700

People want to provide services that they can profit from.  Please explain
the "business model" for TV on a DVD player, pda, pocket pc or portable TV
set.  If we went full bore on such a service NOW, would there be a 2%
penetration rate in, say, North America before 2025?

Note: most of these devices that you mention are the domain of kids.  How
will broadcasters get money from those kids?  Is a cell phone on a bus a
better environment (set & setting) for a Cisco commercial than a sedate
suburban home?  If not (and that's the case, amigo) then you have to figure
out how to PAY for the content being extended.

MS recently paid $40 million to show baseball games on MSN.  You literally
need somebody LIKE THAT to pay broadcasters something LIKE THAT.  Just to
try it out.  Or, develop your own compelling content from scratch, which
will be more expensive (many failures in TV shows).