[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:59:48 -0700

John Willkie wrote:
>Frank;
>
>By what measure of density does the U.K. have more transmitters than the
>U.S.?  Last time I checked, there were 1600 or something full service
>transmitters in the U.S., and more than 5K translators/lptv.  The average
>british tv station is slightly more powerful than the average U.S. LPTV.
>
>John Willkie

By this measure: In late 2002, there were 80 DTV transmitters in the U.K. This
is in a country that is slightly smaller than the state of Oregon. Perhaps our
British colleagues can update us on the latest number, which may be larger
since the Freeview launch.

In the U.S., there will eventually be 1600 DTV transmitters -- still a lower
density per square mile compared to the U.K. -- but so far no LP-DTV
translators. Your observation that the average British TV transmitter is only
slightly more powerful than the average U.S. LPTV transmitter further
demonstates a point I have made several times in the past -- the need for a
well-engineered DTV broadcast infrastructure. The U.K., with lots of "medium
sticks" is a lot closer to that goal than the U.S.

Regardless of the merits of one modulation scheme vs. another, the fact is the
U.K. has a much more uniform DTV field strength. In the U.S., with our
geographically sparse mega-stick transmitters, it's easy to go from tuner
overload to unusably weak signal within the same metropolitan area. That is not
the ideal way to operate a broadband wireless digital communications link, no
matter what modulation you are using.

-- Frank