[obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

  • From: Kit Larsen <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:19:26 -0700

Dennis Arendt reports:

The Eugene Wednesday birders went to Green Island (property owned by the McKenzie River Trust) at the confluence of the McKenzie and Willamette Rivers. The clouds were clearing and the sun was poking through, giving us a very pleasant morning. A Peregrine Falcon posed for the group early in the morning. We had good views of a few of the harbingers of spring: Turkey Vultures, Savannah Sparrows and a large group of Tree Swallows. A eastern visitor appeared with the "Oregon" Juncos -- a beautiful Slate-colored Junco, decked out in cool gray all over except for white tail lights, bill and belly. Our entire list is below.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Turkey Vulture - several over Green Island and a bunch more kettling over Coburg
Bald Eagle - An adult on a nest and several others in the vicinity
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow - a group of 50 or so
Black-capped Chickadee
Pacific Wren - singing and posing for photos
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Varied Thrush - only one heard early in the morning
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow - a group or 3 or 4
Fox Sparrow - only one
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird

Kit Larsen, Sylvia Maulding, Jim Ott, Jim Regali, Marie Royer, Cindy Armstrong, Dave Brown, Ellen Cantor and Dennis Arendt
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx