[obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

  • From: Kit Larsen <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:39:31 -0800

Dennis Arendt reports:

The Eugene Wednesday birders went to the hills south of 52nd Street and west of Willamette. We parked in the Ridgeline Trail parking lot and crossed Willamette to walk under the electric lines west into the area of old South Willamette Dump. The birding was slow in the area near Willamette, but improved as we entered the older sections where the vegetation was thick and mature. We found most of our bird species later in the morning and closer to 52nd Street. A Pileated Woodpecker stayed near the top of tree for all to get good looks. A Hutton's Vireo appeared briefly in a large flock of Kinglets (both varieties) and Chickadees in the firs along 52nd street. On the way to the Ridgeline Trail parking lot, some of us stopped at High Street south of 34th Place, where a Northern Mockingbird had been seen earlier. It appeared immediately and was seen well, however, when we returned later to show the others, it was not relocated. Our entire list is below.
Cackling Goose - flying over
California Quail
Red-tailed Hawk
Anna's Hummingbird
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Hutton's Vireo - one with kinglets and checkadees
Steller's Jay - numerous and noisy
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee - very common
Chestnut-backed Chickadee - seen at the Mockingbird site
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet - a large flock
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird - seen near 3510 High Street
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
House Finch
Purple Finch

Randy Sinnott, Steve and Judy Franzen, Kit Larsen, Jim Regali, Cindy Armstrong, Marie Royer, Dave Brown, Barry McKenzie, Sylvia Maulding and Dennis Arendt
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx