[obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

  • From: Kit Larsen <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:53:31 -0700

Dennis Arendt reports:

On this beautiful sunny day the Eugene Wednesday bird group went to the north end of Mount Pisgah. Lazuli Buntings were heard and seen many times. A pair of House Wrens are setting up housekeeping in one of the bird houses at the garden plots. Several MacGillvray's Warblers called from their hiding places without giving us good views. A Yellow-breasted Chat sang to us, but never came into the open. A Chipping Sparrow showed nicely for several photographers in the group. We drove to the arboretum for a quick sighting of Bullocks Orioles near the demonstration building beyond the entrance. Our complete list is below.

Canada Goose
Hooded Merganser - on the river
California Quail
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey - on and near their nest at the end of the west trail
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Rufous Hummingbird - a perched male and a flitting female
Belted Kingfisher
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Western Wood-Pewee - calling frequently
Warbling Vireo
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - singing with uncommon strength and persistence
House Wren - four
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing - two flying by
MacGillivray's Warbler - four or five in all
Yellow-breasted Chat - one calling from across the river
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Western Tanager - singing and showing off
Black-headed Grosbeak - almost a constant companion
Lazuli Bunting - our most frequently seen and heard species
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole - two, one seen and one heard
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Judy and Stephen Franzen, Jim Regali, Kit Larsen, Sara Vasconcellos, Vickie Buck, Dave Brown, Tom Campbell, Sylvia Maulding, Scott McNeeley, Ellen Cantor, Cindy Armstrong and Dennis Arendt

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx