[obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

  • From: Kit Larsen <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:07:52 -0700

Dennis Arendt reports:

The Eugene Wednesday birding group went to the north end of Mount Pisgah. Our first birds of the morning were two Osprey displaying over the river. It was 38 degrees when we left the parking lot, still in the shadow of Mt. Pisgah. Soon the sun warmed us and birds became noticeably more active. We had great views of Orange-crowned Warblers, Red-breasted Sapsuckers, Wrentits, Bewick's Wrens and, a FOY for most, Violet-green Swallow. We did not have good views of several Rufous Hummingbirds that zinged over our heads. Spring is definitely here. The birds were singing and pairing up. Our complete list is below.

Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Wood Duck - heard by our Wood Duck expert
California Quail
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron - in their rookery
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Anna's Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker - several
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay - very common and noisy
Western Scrub-Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow - several around the nest boxes
Violet-green Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - singing throughout the morning
Wrentit
American Robin
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler - about five
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee - numerous
Fox Sparrow - still around
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow - only one
Golden-crowned Sparrow - picking up stuff in the road and flying into the cherry blossoms
Dark-eyed Junco - still a few around
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch - paired and looking for nesting sites
House Sparrow

Dave Brown, Judy and Steve Franzen, Sara Vasconcellos, Kit Larsen, Charlie Thomas, Scott McNeeley, Jim Ott, Sylvia Maulding, Marie Royer, Cindy Armstrong and Dennis Arendt
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx