[obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

  • From: Kit Larsen <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:37:30 -0800

Dennis Arendt reports:

On a morning without rain, the Eugene Wednesday bird group went to the LCC campus. Instead on climbing the hills behind the campus, we walked the perimeter of the campus, using trails at the edge of woods, around Oak Hill School campus and east to an area close to I-5 and back along the edge of 30th avenue. We were hoping to locate a few Wrentits which are not uncommon in the thick brush, but were not seen or heard here during the CBC. Unfortunately we were unable to get a Wrentit to respond to repeated recordings. One Eurasian Wigeon remained on the ponds. (Two were seen here during the recent CBC.) It was first seen on the third pond from the parking area. It flew to the first pond and was seen again. Our complete list is below.
Cackling Goose (many flying over)
Canada Goose
Gadwall
Eurasian Wigeon (one)
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup (only two, a male and a female not together)
Bufflehead
Pied-billed Grebe
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot
Wilson's Snipe (three in the ditch at the east end of the ponds)
Rock Pigeon
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Black-capped Chickadee
Pacific Wren
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
European Starling
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Spotted Towhee (very common, more than song sparrows)
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch (only one female seen)
Lesser Goldfinch (three near garden plots)
Randy Sinnott, Dave Brown, Cindy Armstrong, Marie Royer, Scott McNeeley, Kit larsen, Steve and Judy Franzen, and Dennis Arendt.
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Manage your account: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderators: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx