[modeleng] Re: Scraping

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:08:52 -0000

AL - this sounds like a simple and fail-safe idea!

It will be interesting to find out where Nicholson make their files.   At
the end of the War, they published a booklet called 'File Filosophy', which
was a mine of information.   I think that I still have the copy!

I was thinking of your comments about chipping, and this lead me to remember
the heroic amount of scraping done on machines, prior to the advent of huge
surface grinders.    I spent some time at the Linotype Factory (near
Manchester) in 1951, and actually assembled parts of these typesetting
dinosaurs.
They also made flat-bed, two-revolution letterpress printing machines
(Miehles, originally designed in Chicago), up to a maximum paper size of
40" x 60".
This meant that a huge flat cast-iron bed, bigger than the paper size, held
64 pages of heavy type metal, and reciprocated the whole caboodle at about
2,000 sheets per hour.   Four pistons (two at each end) cushioned the shock
of reversal.   These huge beds had steel runners below which ran on rollers,
which in turn ran on about six supporting tracks.    All of this had to be
scraped by hand - weeks of work!    The colossal straight-edges were lowered
onto the work by crane!   They made their own castings and these were left
outside in the rain (this was, after all, Manchester!) for several months
before machining on huge planing machines.   This 'weathering' allowed the
stresses in the cast iron to equalise.  It must have been hell to change the
design and then wait months to make a prototype!    With the advent of
photo-typesetting, early computers and offset litho, both the Linotypes and
the Miehles were dead and buried within 20 years.

I must stop muttering in my non-existent beard!

Cheers!    Hubert