[modeleng] Re: Scraping

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:20:02 -0000

Hi Alan

The other day, a friend asked me how to cut the frame for his first
locomotive.   I shall give him your message and suggest that he tries the
cold chisel route!

Enjoy your pension!   When I retired about fifteen years ago, and suddenly
had to do all the little chores which were previously handled by staff at
work, I wondered where I had found the time to do any work at all!

It is indeed a crying shame that all young folk entering the engineering
industry have lost the advice and tuition of those who went before.   Part
of their training ought to be working in the iron works at Ironbridge for a
week or two!

I am fascinated by Ironbridge - particularly by the furnace used by Abraham
Darby I,  the first to produce iron in quantity, using coke instead of
charcoal.   That furnace is the linear ancestor of every machine that has
been built since then!

Cheers!   Hubert