[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:04:19 -0800

Beside my mahogany folly, the S.S. Neverbudge--
forty two feet of site specific cabin cruiser--
I planted last week, between rain and shower,
a memento of our summer trip.

This "giant sequoia," sliding from half inch travel tube,
an ex-Oklahoma Indian chief, no longer lying in state,
slipped the case more like tiny Snow White,
a smile upon the kisser.

I found a spot with both light and room for tree to grow,
believing that years from now,
when its roots have spread throughout the bed,
they ought to be so shallow
that if this giant claim to fame
calls strangers to think on me
they will soon see that I recalled
the sewer line below.

What a practical fool, and now how proud.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon