[lit-ideas] Re: The Unimaginable

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:37:31 -0600

Eric Yost wrote:

. . . .The world is so large, so unimaginably complex, so completely out of personal control. I don't even understand my apartment building, let alone a scale where cities are reduced to computer chips with moss growing around them.

Politics has no role in such a scale. Imagination has no role in such a scale. Sympathy cannot penetrate an order of existence where one could cup a small city in a hand pressed against a window. Power is a drunken dream. All thoughts are humbling and the only judgment is awe.

Or Calvin's response:

"Yes, we're just tiny specks on a planet particle, hurling through the infinite blackness. . . . Let's go in and turn on all the lights." (May 28, 1988 Calvin and Hobbes.)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx
Forest Park, IL, USA