[lit-ideas] Ex-Poetry Editor Can't Scan Complaint

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:14:21 -0500

You pay a $50 reading fee for your entry in a rigged poetry contest sponsored by a university--why should you be upset?

________

http://margaretsoltan.phenominet.com/
As long as we’re back on the subject…

…of the University of Georgia Press -- who knew that the crony scandal Foetry [www.foetry.com] unearthed had another layer of dirt to it? The person who presided for decades over Georgia’s often rigged poetry contests, who has now resigned, had a cronyesque publishing history of his own involving Jorie Graham, who gave her husband-to-be one of Georgia‘s prizes:

Four of Ramke’s eight books of poetry were published by the University of Iowa Press. Two of the four—Airs, Waters, Places (2001) and Matter (2004)—were released in the Kuhl House Poets series, which is coedited by Jorie Graham.

Ramke complains that

“I began receiving two or three e-mails a week accusing me of being published at Iowa only because I let Jorie Graham publish her friends at Georgia…”

Only two or three?