[lit-ideas] The Unimaginable

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 01:39:09 -0500

Lately, I've been doing a lot of work-related flying. Jet trips up and down the East Coast. Two or three miles up in a pressurized box traveling at 500 miles per hour. At this altitude, the towns and cities look like computer chips with red and green moss (forests) growing around them.

I demand window seats and spend most of the flight looking out the window. Would be nice to fly in a glass-bottom plane as far as I'm concerned. Make that a glass-walled plane too, to see the sunrise over the Atlantic, the ocean like brushed steel, the stars in the West.

There's not much factual knowledge in this activity but there is some insight. As a result of this activity I am convinced that everything we believe is wrong, impossibly small, relentlessly local. Our ego is a reverie in small rooms.

Th world is so large, so unimaginably complex, so completely out of personal control. I don't even understand my apartment building, let alone a scale where cities are reduced to computer chips with moss growing around them.

Politics has no role in such a scale. Imagination has no role in such a scale. Sympathy cannot penetrate an order of existence where one could cup a small city in a hand pressed against a window. Power is a drunken dream. All thoughts are humbling and the only judgment is awe.