[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:59:18 -0500

David Ritchie wrote:

"I also said that when it comes to students two things annoy me from the
outset: ... and quoting Santayana's comment about people being doomed to
repeat history.  A more inane comment would be hard to imagine!"

My favourite quote about repeating history:

"Hegel remarks somewhere that all great, world-historical facts and
personages occur, as it were, twice.  He has forgotten to add: the first
time as tragedy, the second as farce." (Marx, _The Eighteenth Brumaire
of Louis Bonaparte_)

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON