[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:54:31 -0600

JK:
Delia?  As in "Delia's Gone"??

Oops!  How embarrassing.  Delilah, not Deliah.  I've even wiped the name of the
song from my mind it was so annoying time and time.  Thanks for pointing that
out.

Mike Geary

        Date: 1/29/06 9:04:03 AM Central Standard Time
        From: atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  For the benefit of Mr. Helm here're the lyrics in his realm, right on his
  screen:

  David Bowie - Space Oddity
  ============================

  Ground Control to Major Tom
  Ground Control to Major Tom
  Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

  Ground Control to Major Tom
  Commencing countdown, engines on
  Check ignition and may God's love be with you

  Spoken:
  Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Lift-off

  This is Ground Control to Major Tom
  You've really made the grade
  And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
  Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

  "This is Major Tom to Ground Control
  I'm stepping through the door
  And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
  And the stars look very different today

  For here
  Am I sitting in a tin can
  Far above the world
  Planet Earth is blue
  And there's nothing I can do

  Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
  I'm feeling very still
  And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
  Tell my wife I love her very much (she knows!)
  Ground Control to Major Tom
  Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
  Can you hear me, Major Tom?
  Can you hear me, Major Tom?
  Can you hear me, Major Tom?
  Can you hear....

  " am I floating round my tin can
  Far above the Moon
  Planet Earth is blue
  And there's nothing I can do.?

  Tom Jones sang Delia.  In 1968 every morning  at 7 a.m. at a campground
  outside Augsberg, Germany the camp would play "Delia" over and over over the
  loudspeaker for what seemed 30 minutes straight.  Never mention Tom Jones'
  name in my presence again please.

  Mike Geary
  Memphis