[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:52:10 -0800

Because "random" is currently your favorite word,
and the mind is more puzzling than the sword,
I've recorded what little in five minutes I heard.

First your homework calculations; they were just beyond my pale
recollection.  There is just no more mail
arriving from my I.B. years in Wales.

So then I recalled Major Tom, singing in his orbit suit,
and my teacher, Lulu Lloyd, on the bush telegraph,
"Send three and fourpence, I'm going to ablute."

In the tank I see the algae eaters and so
envision goats, going from door to door,
gobbling scowfuls of garbage.

Then, when push comes to shove,
it occurs to me that if ice floes were to brake,
a man could step on the Seine river twice, and eat cake.

Finally, here comes the lovely
Anne-Sophie Mutter, a trooper,
for goodness' sake.

David Ritchie