[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: "Cassidy Dann" <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:54:48 -0500

Tom Jones sang Delia. In 1968 every morning at 7 a.m. at a campground outside Augsberg, >Germany the camp would play "Delia" over and over over the loudspeaker for what seemed 30 >minutes straight. Never mention Tom Jones' name in my presence again please.

Whatever can you be objecting to in such soul-stirring associations:

"At break of day when that man drove away, I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My, my, my Delilah
Why, why, why Delilah"

Or there's this, from Judges, 16:

"16.4
And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.

16:5
And the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, and see wherein his great strength lieth, and by what means we may prevail against him, that we may bind him to afflict him; and we will give thee every one of us eleven hundred pieces of silver.

16:6
And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.

16:7
And Samson said unto her, If they bind me with seven green withs that were never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.

16:8
Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven green withs which had not been dried, and she bound him with them.

16:9
Now there were men lying in wait, abiding with her in the chamber. And she said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he brake the withs, as a thread of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire. So his strength was not known."

You may, however, prefer the tin can, in which case, be my guest.

Sincerely, C. Dann
Rappahannock, VA