[lit-ideas] Re: Sounds right to me

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:43:04 -0330

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/magazine/14wwln-Wallace-t.html?_r=3&ref=magazine
> I liked the following:
> He then ventured modestly that his own analysis of the problem “seems to
> warrant the following conclusion of our own: if Taylor and the fatalists want
> to force upon us a metaphysical conclusion, they must do metaphysics, not
> semantics. And this seems entirely appropriate.”
>
> O.K.

Quite right, I would say. A parallel claim is that arguments against the cogency
of transcendental arguments and conclusions often are themselves replete with
transcendental claims. Richard Rorty was charged, convicted and fined
repeatedly for this offense - to the point where he realized the best he could
do was "change the subject" and not talk about what is or is not possible or
necessary with such things as knowledge, understanding, language, vocabularies,
etc..

Walter O
MUN