[lit-ideas] Re: Sounds right to me

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:18:10 -0800

Walter wrote
The remarks garnered together by [Malcolm] and Von Wright as "On
[C]ertainty" are surely a testament to transcendental philosophy. The
fundamental and
pervasive claim running throughout those remarks is that if you doubted the
validityof
"hinge propositions," you would not be able to coherently doubt
at all, nor would you be able to make any knowledge-claims.

Alas, it was von Wright and Miss Anscombe what garnered them. I'm signing off now. All this excitement has worn me down.

Here's something Malcolm was responsible for.

'An attempt to summarize the Investigations would be neither
successful nor useful. Wittgenstein compressed his thoughts to the
point where further compression is impossible. What is needed is
that they should be unfolded and the connections between them traced
out. A likely first reaction to the book will be to regard it as a puzzling collection of reflections that are sometimes individually brilliant, but possess no unity, present no system of ideas. In truth the unity is there, but, alas, it cannot be perceived without strenuous exertion.'

[From the opening paragraph of a review article of the Investigations, Philosophical Review, October 1954]

Robert Paul