[lit-ideas] Sounds right to me

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ANTHRO-L <ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:37:03 +0900

Courtesy of Grand McCracken at
http://www.cultureby.com/trilogy/2008/12/bunges-symptoms-of-truth.html

> What matters now that post-modernism doesn't?  Now that we have escaped the
> wrecking crew, how shall we proceed?
>

> We could do worse that say that we want to author "propositions" about the
> world. And if this is what we want to do, I suggest we say that on balance
> these propositions would be better if they satisfied Bunge's "symptoms of
> truth."
>

> According to Bunge, propositions should be:
>

> 1. exact, so that no unnecessary ambiguity exists

2. economical, so that we oblige us to make the minimum number of
> assumptions

3.  mutually consistent, so that no assertion contradicts another

4. externally consistent, so that it conforms to what we know about other
> things in the world

5. unified, so that assertions are organized in a manner that subsumes the
> specific within  the general, unifying where possible, discriminating when
> necessary

6. powerful, so that it explains as much of the data as possible without
> sacrificing accuracy

7. fertile, so that it suggests new ideas and opportunities for insight

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN