[lit-ideas] Re: Sounds right to me

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:19:07 -0330

Interesting confluence of cosmological forces here. Suzanne Langer was strongly
influenced by one Ernst Cassirer, a Kantian philosopher if ever there was one.
He is known primarily for his thesis of "symbolic forms." One of Ryle's
students was Paul H. Hirst, a philosopher of education who attained significant
fame and notoreity for his "forms of knowledge" theory (co-authored with
Richard
S. Peters, the only educational philosopher to be referenced by Habermas. Yes,
we do keep track of such things, alas.)

The common ground between Cassirer and Hirst is the idea that the traditions or
disciplines of inquiry human beings have developed over the years - ie.,
science, philosophy, history, literature, etc. - are all contributors to what
we can call with Michael Oakeshott "a conversation of mankind."  To have
appropriated a "liberal education" is to have attained an understanding of the
world, oneself and others as constituted by these disciplines or symbolic
forms of inquiry. "Liberal education" is thus understood as intending the
development of dispositions/disciplines of inquiry across its possible forms. A
liberally educated person is one who is able to "see" things from the developed
disciplinary perspectives. Incorporating the Socratic influence, we can say
that
the liberally educated person has gained some sense of how the various
disciplines go about justifying their respective validity or truth claims. In
short, the liberally educated person is able to experience the world, herself
and others through the resources provided by the disciplines, and she is also
able to understand what counts as legitimate warrant within each of the
disciplines, forms of inquiry/knowledge. (This is a philosophical reading of
liberal education. There is also the conception of liberal education based in
oratory and persuasion, as plied by the Sophists of ancient times. Their
educational outcomes differ significantly from the philosophical ones.)

I would think that a politically "liberal" society would understand the
philosophical version of liberal education as a moral and intellectual
imperative. Criticisms of this position
are of course many, emanating from Marxian, Feminist, Rortain Relativist, and
Whiteness Privilege paradigms of sociology, to name but a few. Martha Nussbaum's
*Cultivating humanity* is essential reading here. Bloom's *Closing of the
American Mind* is also within the ballpark, regardless of your views on Plato's
conception of education.

Walter O,
An admittedly white, secular, middle-class, possibly hermaphroditic, but not
yet
dead, reasonably autonomous person who wants no truck with E.D. Hirsch Jr. or
William Bennett and who is not married to the ideal of reproducing the status
quo.