[lit-ideas] Re: Sounds right to me

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:24:45 +0700

John McCreery quotes:

"According to Bunge, propositions should be:

5. unified, so that assertions are organized in a manner that subsumes
the specific within  the general, unifying where possible,
discriminating when necessary"

The other propositions strike me as being acceptable, but this one
bothers me.  The other propositions give us both internal and external
consistency, so this proposition doesn't add the criterion of
consistency.  What does it contribute?   Why should we accept it?  One
of the lessons post-modernism offered was that the desire to unify
knowledge was both mistaken and dangerous.  I think this is a good
lesson and so I would be reluctant to accept the above proposition
without some account of what good comes from it.

Lacking unity,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia