[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:50:15 -0230

A few remarks on social probity and moral epistemology in light of Mike's
reflections ---------->

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Who never emails you?  Bloom or Ingarten?  If Ingarten emails you, does that
>
> mean that he's less high on the totem pole than Bloom who apparently
> doesn't?  Is it culturally appropriate for either Bloom or Ingarten to email
>
> you if they are professorial muckety-mucks -- I mean, look at you, you email
>
> ME for Christsake!

----------> I haven't received an email from either one of them this year. (A
true statement, but not very accurate. Is "accuracy" an independent epistemic
criterion, to be differentiated from truth and rightness?)

> Can you blame Bloom or Ingarten for not emailing you?
> What if it should get out that they email you who is so low on the totem
> pole that you email me?  Culture's have their appropriatenesses and their
> inappropriatenesses.  It would be inappropriate for either Bloom or Ingarten
>
> to email you knowing you email me.  'Should' has nothing to do with it.  As
> my psychologist asks: "do you consider that appropriate behavior?"  He never
>
> asks "don't you think it was wrong to cop a feel on that nun?"

---------------> Perhaps the reason they don't email me is that I engage in
conversation with Mike. On "should" and "appropriateness:" I continue to
maintain that if one makes the claim that practice P is culturally
inappropriate, then that entails the view that members of that culture should
not engage in the practice. This holds, I aver, from both the internalist
(participant) and the externalist (objective) perspective I was at pains to
articulate last week (while still on vacation.) I'm not sure the converse
holds.

Mike's psychologist sounds like a cultural relativist. I am told most are. Since
therapy is distinct from truth or rightness, not much rides on it.

> It is
> socially inappropriate to vomit on the city bus.  But is it immoral?  I
> don't think so.

------> I agree with the former proposition. As to the question, notice that
Mike doesn't  provide sufficient information for assessment of the moral status
of a maxim in this case. Was the vomiting accidental or intentionally
self-induced? If the latter, what end was being sought by the vomiting agent?
If the former, attribution of agency is mitigated if not abrogated.

> Social appropriateness can outweigh morality -- and often
> does.

------------> If by "outweigh" Mike refers to the status of having greater
epistemic warrant or objective force of reasons provided, then I believe his
statement is false. Any other construal of "outweigh" is philosophically
irrelevant.

> So killing a daughter to protect the family's honor isn't immoral in
> the eyes of those who believe in the social appropriateness of such
> measures, in fact, many would think it immoral not to kill the daughter.

----------> This too is philosophically irrelevant. Mike proffers an empirical
claim here under the guise of justification. No empirical claim on its own can
be epistemically decisive within the justification of a claim to moral
rightness.

> Kant be damned.  Go figure.

--------> Both of these are prescriptive ejaculations, the probity of which
depend upon provision of justification for the above claims.

Walter O.
MUN