[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:49:22 +0100

Eric: Did you watch the Debate in "real time"? Were you in its "live" audience?

this is a really silly question, Eric. Have I, since then, watched debates 'in real time'? Yes. (Have I watched US Presidential and VP debates real time? Yes. I watched Palin-Biden -- alas - and part of the first Obama-McCain one. But that's irrelevant.) Have I since then taken part in political meetings and campaigns, yes. And that's my point. I was using my circumstances then, that is, as an analogy.

With all respect due your circumstances and attainments,

some US people, Eric,

sufficiently interested to watch the Debate

will at the time of 9/11 been in situations that led to their not being able to

remember the tragedy of 9/11 and where (they) were on that day and, you know, how all of the country was ready to come together and make enormous changes to make us not only safer, but to make us a better country and a more unified country (etc.)

but yet watched the debate 'real-time'. Your suggestion that all such people are buffoons who switched the TV on by accident, when they may have been coping with serious problems, is really unpleasant and foolish, too.

I would have said.

Events
have therefore shown Obama's comment was not a mainstream ueber-gaffe, only something that weirded me out.

Indeed.  So we can drop the matter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>