[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:34:35 +0100

If Obama makes this assumption about everything substantial in a debate -- i.e., that a good portion of his audience is cut off, hasn't a clue, was busy in Vegas or on Vision Quest, is out to lunch, had the "do not disturb" sign hanging from their sensory deprivation tank --

Like me? I did say, 'like me'. I walked into a nursing home sitting room to find, as usual, a film on TV. But the sound was not only not blaring, it was turned off. ? In the film, a plane crashed into a skyscraper. I had King Kong type thoughts... but suddenly realised this was actually happening. I didn't strike up an impassioned conversation about it with the elderly, mainly very deaf, to an extent demented, often depressed, people sitting in armchairs staring somewhere or other. And when I got my mother somewhere else I didn't start a political conversation. When I went home I rested. In the following days, as I said

I didn't talk to anybody about it for about a week, admittedly that's partly because some people were a bit too stunned to talk, the first person I had lunch with later clearly was too upset to talk about it.)

and also I was visiting the nursing home every day.

how does he explain that this same
group is in the (real or TV) audience listening to him speak during a Presidential Debate?

Very easily. Very easily because *I* don't know when I heard what had actually happened or where I was then, and because then, I was cut off from the chattering classes and also

because some people were a bit too stunned to talk, the first person I had lunch with later clearly was too upset to talk about it.

and there will be others like me, though most for different reasons

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>