[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:58:18 -0700

"A lot of you may remember," on the other hand, is almost as bad as "some of you may remember." Context does nothing to alleviate the gaffe.

Are you, Eric, implying that Obama was foolish to think that anyone would NOT remember where they were (sorry about the anyone/they, but blame Susan Sontag); that by implying there was anyone who might not he was being condescending; that he should have just, by-gum, known better; that we should be outraged; that only an idiot would have made such a remark with such terrible, terrible implications; that this is a monumental 'gaffe' of such proportions that, that...but my hand trembles...I cannot go on. I must go lie down.

You want gaffes? Wednesday, on CNN, John King was about to ask Willie Brown, former mayor of San Francisco, a few things. He began by saying 'we're going now to Willie Horton...' What I've put in single quotes aren't his exact words, but they're close enough. 'Willie Horton' is an exact quote.

What does it all mean, poet? I can't remember who said that—I must be one in 100 million.

Robert Paul,
gaffing to himself