[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:55:38 +0700

Eric Yost wrote:

"A prefatory remark made by Obama in the very boring debate: "Some of
you may remember 9/11..."  Here Obama excludes six year olds, people
in comas, those suffering from Alzheimer's, and possibly himself.  I'm
surprised nobody jumped on that ueber-gaffe."

I am not sure where Eric is getting this quote from.  This is what I found:

'You know, a lot of you remember the tragedy of 9/11 and where you
were on that day and, you know, how all of the country was ready to
come together and make enormous changes to make us not only safer, but
to make us a better country and a more unified country.'

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/debates/transcripts/second-presidential-debate.html

The context makes Obama's qualification, 'a lot', reasonable.  Many
people remember where they were when they first heard of the attacks.
Does everybody?  I doubt it.  It certainly is not an uber-gaffe.
Eric's insertion of the qualifier 'may' and excision of the rest of
the sentence was a curious editorial decision.

On the other hand, you know, it really annoys me, you know, when
people use the expression 'you know'.  You know?

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia