[lit-ideas] Re: Islam, Israel and the Code of the West

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:41:25 -0700

> LH: See article 5 in the aforementioned treaty:

<http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/isael_lebanon_83.html>

*This is a peace treaty from 1983., which has never

been implemented by either side and from which Lebanon

has officially withdrawn a year after it was signed.

 <http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/14/israel.lebanon.timeline/>
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/14/israel.lebanon.timeline/

This peace treaty was signed by both sides and ratified by the Lebanese
government. But as we know from Hezbollah's presence in Lebanon, it wasn't
implemented by Lebanon.  It has, however, been honored by Israel as far as I
know.  "After the assassination of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashir_Gemayel> Bashir Gemayel, Israel and
Lebanon signed an agreement on May 17, 1983 which was a peace treaty in all
but name. <http://www.mideastweb.org/lebanonpeace.htm> [1] Lebanon signed
the agreement under American and Israeli pressure, but it was opposed by
Syria. The agreement was conditional on Syrian withdrawal, which did not
occur, and it was never implemented. Much of the content of the treaty was
contained in secret protocols and memoranda, and it did not win expected
Jordanian and Saudi endorsement. The Lebanese legislature ratified the
treaty by a margin of 80 votes, but in a very weak and unstable domestic
position President  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amin_Gemayel> Amin Gemayel
abrogated the peace treaty on March 5, 1984 under unrelenting Syrian
pressure, after the US marines withdrew and after Israel had begun
withdrawing from Lebanon."  From
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Lebanon>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Lebanon

LH >> I'll bet there are many in Israel today wishing they had stuck by
their earlier principles of not dealing with terrorist organizations.
Terrorist organizations should be exterminated, not dealt with
diplomatically.

OK >*I can only characterize this as a fanatical position.

LH:  I oppose a fanatical Militant Islamist terrorist organization; so that
makes me a fanatic?  I can live with that.

Lawrence