[lit-ideas] Re: Islam, Israel and the Code of the West

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:45:32 +0100

Lawrence: "You haven't really proved the Likud predecessor was a terrorist
organization any more than you could prove that the French Resistance during
WWII was a terrorist organization."

This from the Wikipedia page on Hagana:

'As Menachem Begin, an Irgun commander, stated in a 1944 meeting: "In fact,
there is a division of roles; One organisation advocates individual terrorism
(the Freedom Fighters of Israel), the other conducts sporadic military
operations (the Irgun) and there is a third organisation which prepares itself
to throw its final weight in the decisive war." The bombing of the King David
Hotel in Palestine on July 22, 1946, which killed 91 persons (mostly civilians)
was an Irgun operation in which the Haganah participated.'

So Begin, later PM of Israel, thought that the Lehi (Stern Gang) was certainly
a terrorist organisation. And since the bombing of the King David hotel has to
be a terrorist attack, it also imples that both Irgun and Haganah took part in
terrorist activities.

Simon